first_imgDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUERESULTS SATURDAYDowntown Cup Group AGlenea United Reserves 1 Cranford United Reserves 0 Glenea kept their unbeaten run in the Downtown Cup going with this hard earned victory over Cranford. In cool conditions it was the home side that started the brightest and took the lead on 15 minutes from the penalty spot. Martin Maguire’s initial effort was well saved by the keeper but Maguire reacted quickest to knock home the rebound. Glenea continues to press for another goal but were unable to create any clear cut chances. In the 2nd half Cranford came more into the game and started to press the home defence but were finding it difficult to create any openings themselves and it was the home side that looked more likely to score on the break with Martin Maguire and Lee O’Brien going close. Cranford came close on 85 minutes when Anthony Kelly’s effort from the edge of the box came back off the post. Team efforts from both sides.Downtown Cup Group BDonegal Town Reserves 2 Keadue Rovers Reserves 1Donegal Town finished off their Downtown Cup group stage fixtures with a hard fought victory over Keadue Rovers at the Hospital Field. Keadue were much the stronger in the first half but failed to capitalise on early chances the best of which was a Donal Rodgers header on eight minutes. Donegal did well to go in level at the break and were a completely different side after the restart. Joe McIntyre capitalised on the early pressure when he broke through on the left hand side to fire the ball home from just inside the area. Donegal doubled their lead shortly after when Ryan Gallagher broke out of defence and slipped it through to Ciarán O’Reilly who turned just outside the area to fire the ball home into the far corner. Keadue got back into the game after they worked the ball well from a throw in and a superb near post finish from Darragh Hanlon put them right back in it. Keadue pushed on in search of the equaliser and Donegal remained threatening on the counter attack. The key moment of the match was a Donal Rodgers penalty five minutes from time which was superbly saved by Donegal stopper Eamonn McGinley. Good team performances from both sides.Downtown Cup Group CRamelton Mariners 4 Gweedore United Reserves 1Glenree United Reserves 1 Downtown United 3 On a perfect day for a match the homeside started the game much the brighter with some great passages of play and where just left wanting when they got near the opposition penalty area. Downtown were finding it difficult to get going and were offering very little in attack. The teams went in all square at half time with the homeside feeling that a lead would have been deserved. The away team came out for the second half more lively and started to create a few half chances but nothing to worry the home keeper. The first goal came on the hour mark when a corner was swung in and Charlie Sheen rose highest to score for the Downtown. Their lead did not last long though as from another corner, Karl Mc Elhinney got in well ahead of the keeper with a bullet header. Both teams were now probing with the home side coming close twice with the keeper flapping and lucky to see the ball go over the bar. With ten minutes left a free kick was awarded on the edge of the box which and Mickey Freeman stepped up to put Downtown ahead for the second time in the match. The home side decided to go for the equaliser and when on the attack got caught on the break, Ciaran Lafferty having an easy tap in for the third and decisive goal. Team performances from both Glenree and Downtown. Referee: Denis O’DonnellDowntown Cup Group DGlencar Celtic 2 Mulroy Celtic 4SUNDAY Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionRathmullan Celtic 4 Lifford Celtic 0Rathmullan Celtic sent out a message of their clear intentions to claim a remarkable League treble with a scintillating four goals victory over table-toppers Lifford Celtic from the county’s capital as Mark Curran’s charges made it three wins on the bounce in 2013 scoring 14 goals and conceding none.The table-toppers could not cope with the formidable attacking prowess of Curran’s Hoops and went behind to an early goal after five minutes when Paddy Sheridan scored from an in swinging corner to set the tone for the afternoon ahead.Lifford shot-stopper Lee White was in sensational form denying talismanic striker Eamonn Sheridan, former Harps star Oisin McMenamin and Dara Patton to keep the score at the minimum for the opening half.In the second period Patton set up Eoin Sheridan on the edge of the area on 55 minutes and the midfield dynamo scored with an outrageous chip from 20 yards to a cacophony of cheer from the Hoops faithful. McMenamin put the game beyond doubt on 65 minutes with a stunning free kick into the bottom corner from the edge of the area. Doherty earned the Seasiders a penalty with two minutes remaining which was dispatched with class from the very impressive Sheridan as the Hoops rounded off a five star performance with four goals and yet another clean sheet.Best for Lifford was Lee White while the entire Hoops side quite simply are progressing with confidence, playing the beautiful game with aplomb and entertaining the masses with significant ease.Referee: Ed MooreGlenea United 0 Kilmacrennan Celtic 1In bitter conditions it was the away side that went away with all three points. The home side started well and Michael Barry went close in the opening moments. The home side continued to push for the opening goal and went close on a number of occasions through efforts from Kevin Mulhern, Sean McBride and Denis Boyle. Kilmacrennan were finding it tough to create any chances against the home defence and the 1st half finished scoreless. Glenea started the 2nd half still pushing for the lead goal, but found themselves one down on 50 minutes when Raymond Shields headed home a corner with Kilmacrennan’s first effort on goal. Glenea kept going forward looking for an equaliser but the Kilmacrennan goal led a charmed life as a series of goal bound efforts were blocked by the away defence. Kilmacrennan’s Sean Sandilands had his free kick well saved by Sean Mc Clafferty. Best for Glena were Padraig McGee and Denis Boyle, while Kieran Gorman was best for Kilmacrennan.Referee: Joe McHugh.Milford United 2 St. Catherines 1Milford fought back from one behind at half time to clinch an important victory at home to the Killybegs side. Milford fully deserved their victory after finding themselves unlucky to be behind at the break as Paddy Peoples put in late challenge in the box leaving Con McLaughlin no choice in pointing to the penalty spot. Jason Noctor scored the penalty to the keeper’s right. In the second half Milford upped the tempo and played good football especially on the right with Pauric Curley, Ciaran McGinley and PJ Hagan creating loads of opportunities, the best falling to Mark Flood whose header from 3 yards went over the bar. Flood made amends five minutes later when he volleyed Hagan’s Cross home from 18 yards. The winner came five minutes from time. After a series of corners Flood again got on the end of a David Curley cross to seal the victory. St. Catherines pushed for an equalizer causing a few anxious moments in the Milford defence, but the home side held on for victory. Best for St. Catherine’s were David Cromwell and Gareth Concarr, great team performance by Milford in the second half with sub Anthony Mc Paul impressing on his second game back at the club. Referee: Con McLaughlin.Lagan Harps 2 Dunkineely Celtic 1This game was reversed to Darney Park but Dunkineely failed to take advantage and fell to a disappointing defeat. The first half was a pretty dull affair with neither side creating any great chances. The best fell to Andrew Mackey but his header, from a Colin Mc Nicholas cross, hit the crossbar.The second half saw more direct attacking play from both sides. Dunkineely had a great chance to take the lead on 55 minutes when Adrian Nesbitt crossed for Andrew Mackey but he shot wide from close range. Lagan took the lead on the hour when Shane Browne finished from close range after a good break on the left wing. Dunkineely equalised on 70 minutes when Aaron Byrne picked up a clearance 30 yards from goal and beat one player before firing a great shot to the corner of the net. Instead of building on this Dunkineely conceded two minutes later when a Brian Kelly shot from 20 yards took a wicked deflection and ended up in the net. Dunkineely piled on the pressure after this but could not find the equaliser. Lagan on the break had a number of chances to kill off the game but failed to take them. Referee: Ronan Floyd.Castlefin Celtic 1 Gweedore Celtic 2Castlefin’s run of bad luck continued into 2013 when Gweedore came to Castlefin and claimed all three points in Parkview on Sunday. Castlefin started the brighter and took the lead through Damien Mc Glinchey after good work from Barry Tourish with seven minutes played. Gweedore upped the tempo and were awarded a penalty after a handball in the home defence but Castlefin keeper Paul Logue saved Tomas Diver’s spot kick. In the second half both sides pushed in search of goals and in the 60th minute Gweedore got their equaliser after a scramble in the home defence the ball fell to David Mc Ghee who poked home. Castlefin pressed for the winner spurned great chances through Barry and Ronan Tourish and Kieran Brennan. In the 92nd minute Gweedore got the winner when a Dan Curran shot bulleted into the bottom corner from 20 yards. Two decent team performances. Referee: Patrick MartinWatson Hire Division OneArranmore United 0 Ballybofey United 0Arranmore and Ballybofey played out a scoreless draw on the island with the away team going close twice with deflected free kicks from the edge of the box. Arranmore threatened occasionally with Mark Ward going close with a header at the back post and Conor Proctor going close with a half volley. Arranmore dominated the 2nd half with the aid of the wind but again failed to punish the away side with Danny Rodgers going close with a header just over from 5yards. In the final minutes Arranmore threw everyone forward to try to get the much needed three points but the away side coped well with the pressure. Team performances from both sides with Conor Proctor and Michael Mc Hugh the standout performers for the home side. Referee: John Mc GlanagheyKeadue Rovers 1 Eany Celtic 1Keadue and Eany ended level at Central Park on a bitterly cold afternoon. Despite the tough conditions it was a very enjoyable encounter played at a good pace throughout. It was Keadue who were much quicker out of the blocks and had a couple of decent chances in the opening twenty minutes with brothers Paul ‘Yank’ Boyle and Sean ‘Yank’ Boyle going close with a couple of efforts. The home side’s movement up front was excellent as well. However Eany started to get a grip by the twenty fifth minute of the first half, creating a shooting chance on the half hour and were the stronger outfit coming up to the half time. Into the second half and the first chance of the half fell to Gerard Walsh who blasted over the bar on fifty minutes. A few minutes later Keadue had another good close range chance with a header going wide. Eany took the lead on fifty seven minutes, against the run of play, when winger Martin Shovlin took advantage of a defensive slip to shoot to the corner of the net for a good goal. It was the spark that Eany needed as they took control of possession after that knocking it about well and looking more composed. Five minutes after it should have been two when Eany had a shot on goal after a defensive back pass had gone wrong. The home team still battled away and were getting more possession in the final twenty minutes and were forcing a few free kicks. Finally their pressure paid off on eighty minutes when Mark Boyle’s ball through found Doalty Boyle who just beat the keeper to the ball slotting home to the corner.Despite staying on top for the remaining ten minutes Eany defended well and a draw was a fair result overall.Best for Eany were Mark Ward and Eddie Gallagher whilst best for Keadue were Doalty Boyle and Hugh ‘Yank’ Boyle. Referee: Liam Farren.Curragh Athletic 1 Cappry Rovers 0A goal inside the first minute ended up to be the winning goal in a very close derby match played in Killygordon. A move involving Kevin Rafferty and Paddy Collins ended up with Shane Barclay sliding the ball past the stranded Brendan O’ Meara. Although this looked to be a perfect start for the home side it was Cappry who produced the best efforts for the remainder of the half. The first real chance after the goal came on twenty one minutes when Roy Duffy tipped a shot over the bar from Benny Mc Laughlin. The resulting corner saw Paddy Collins clear off the line before Michael Mc Glynn again shot over when well placed. Curragh’s best chance came when it looked a certain goal on thirty eight minutes, but somehow the ball ended up on top of the net. Although Cappry had a lot of the play a strong home defence, marshalled well by Mickey O’ Brien, meant that they found it very hard to penetrate. The second half saw the home side begin to show why they are top with Ryan Carlin and Shane Barclay ever dangerous up front. In fact the home side produced the best chance of the second half when a Ryan Carlin shot was parried by O’ Meara but Paddy Collins just could not convert the rebound. Kevin Rafferty did have the ball in the net on seventy one minutes but it was ruled out for offside. Curragh also has Michael O’ Brien injured and replaced during the second half. For Cappry this was a good team performance with O’ Meara outstanding in goals and they played some very attractive football. For Curragh this win takes them clear at the top with an away game in Clonmany next week in the Ulster Junior Cup. Man of the match was Mickey O’ Brien but Curragh were also sell served by Gareth Gallagher and Ryan Carlin.CT Ball Division TwoGweedore United 3 Kerrykeel’71 F.C. 2This game played on a cold day at Carrickboyle provided the spectators with great entertainment in what was a cracking game. Both sides started well with the game at a frantic pace for the first 20 minutes. In the 19th minute Seimí Coshia Friel hit a great shot from 20 yards but it came off the post. The visitors took the lead on 25 minutes when a well delivered corner from Mark Friel was tapped past Liam Mc Fadden by Fergal Friel from 2 yards to make it 1-0. United pulled one back two minutes later when an excellent pass from Niall Friel was slotted home by Michael Connolly to make it 1-1.The home side then took the lead in the 34th minute when Connolly turned provider with a good pass to Ciaran Mc Fadden who neatly beat Mark Mc Conigley to make it 2-1 at half time. The second half started with Kerrykeel going in search of an equaliser however they were well matched by a good home defence. The home side went 3-1 up in the 68th minute when good play once again from Michael Connolly was excellently capitalised on by Ciaran Mc Fadden. Kerrykeel pushed hard during the last 20 minutes however the home defence marshalled by Brian Gallagher and Frank Mc Gee stood firm. The visitors pulled one back in the 88th minute when Mark “Sparky” Friel finished well after a goal mouth scramble. Seimí Coshia Friel and Benny Callaghan played well for Kerrykeel and it was an excellent team performance from United with Michael Connolly and Niall Friel outstanding on the day.Referee: Gerry Rodden.Letterbarrow Celtic 1 Drumbar United 1The cold air left Letterbarrow frozen on their feet at the start. Drumbar capitalised and took an early lead within two minutes. A well worked move finished off by Ray Boulgan. Letterbarrow responded well and scored before the break when Christopher Burke capitalised from a corner with a cheaky flick. Both teams went all guns blazing in the second half but couldn’t be separated. Letterbarrow came closest towards the end after Barry Griffin’s strike was tipped away by the keeper. Best for Letterbarrow was John Kenny with Frank “the tank” Mc Mullen best for the away team. Referee: Mick Lagan.Glenree United 2 Whitestrand United 0Glenree United got back to winning ways again as they beat their fellow seasiders.The cold weather hampered Whitestrand’s assault on the home side and their engine room failed to heat up as Glenree created attack after attack.Glenree went ahead when Andy Logue chipped a delightful ball over the defence and Damien Nelis lobbed the out-coming keeper on 35minutes.After the half time Bovril the men in red got motoring again and it was the midfield maestro again, Andy Logue, who was the creator when he slid the perfect pass to Damien Coyle and he struck to make it two nil on 50minutes.The visitors had two penalties saved by an in-form home keeper and failed to reply to Glenree’s two strikes.Paul Lynch was best for Whitestrand and a good team performance by Glenree. Referee: Gerry GallagherCopany Rovers 0 Bonagee United 3Bonagee left it very late to get the better of Copany, with three goals in the last five minutes to keep their place at the top of the table.The first half was an even and keenly contested affair, with both teams working hard on a heavy and difficult surface. Ross Hanlon fired straight at Stephen Doherty on 15 minutes for Bonagee, with Glenn Rainey firing over when leaving his center half berth five minutes later. For the home side, Daryl Duncan fired just past the post on 32 minutes following good work on the flank by Darragh Brogan.Copany took the game to the visitors at the beginning of the second half with Darragh Brogan causing all sorts of problems to the Bonagee defence, however, the youngster did not have his shooting boots on today and despite having another excellent game for the Cobras missed three great chances when getting the better of the Bonagee defence. It was Brogan again who caused danger on 58 minutes when he broke the offside trap and rounded the ‘keeper in the box, only to be fouled by the ‘keeper, who was very fortunate to somehow remain on the pitch. Daryl Duncan’s spot kick cannoned off the post and this turned out to be the catalyst for a Bonagee revival.The Letterkenny men went close from a couple of set pieces and also had a couple of chances expertly saved by an in-form Stephen Doherty. However on 85 minutes Ross Hanlon was fed through by Shane Kelly, after a terrific run from the right back, and Hanlon fired to the corner of the net to the jubilation of the visiting party.After putting in a huge effort Copany let their heads drop and two minutes later Darren Coyle’s effort squirmed under Doherty to make it two on 87 minutes. On 88 minutes Kevin Dolan scored the pick of the three with a fine finish from the edge of the box.Team effort from the home side who will feel unfortunate not to get something from the game, with Shane Kelly best for the visitors.Dunlewy Celtic 4 Convoy Arsenal 1With the hills of Dunlewey covered in snow this game had a winter feeling about it. The game started brightly for the visitors but it was the home side who took the lead. They were two ahead by the interval. The second half was only a few minutes gone when Daniel Cannon made it three when he scored from a tight angle. The visitors never gave up and got one back mid-way through the second half and they also had a shoot saved on the goal-line which alerted the home side that the game wasn’t over. It was nip and tuck but the victory was sealed for the home side when Christy Cannon was brought down in the box and he stepped up to power home his hat-trick and secure the three points for the home side.DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUE – REPORTS FROM ALL THE WEEKEND’S GAMES was last modified: January 20th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Junior League reportslast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *