Royce White Suspended by Rockets

Royce White, the 16th overall pick in June’s NBA draft, was suspended by the Houston Rockets Sunday for refusing to provide services required by his contract.“The Houston Rockets have suspended Royce White effective immediately for refusing to provide services as required by his Uniform Player Contract,” Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey said in a statement. “We will continue to work with Royce to hopefully come to a resolution.”One week ago White refused his assignment to Houston’s D-League affiliate Rio Grande Valley Vipers after spending the majority of the season on the Rockets’ inactive list, while he and management tried to reach a reasonable solution for his overall mental health and anxiety disorder.The 21-year-old White is requesting that the NBA, the National Basketball Players Association, the Rockets and himself sign a document for mental health protocol, and does not plan to show up for any team activities until everyone signs the document, according to USA TODAY Sports.White’s demands will be difficult to accomplish because such an agreement is banned under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.The 6-foot-8 White went on a Twitter rampage after being suspended indefinitely by the Rockets organization.“What’s suspending me suppose to do. I’ve been away from the team for a month ½. Guess we want to give it a title shift accountability,” he tweeted.White even took at shot Morey in his second tweet.“Threat, Fines, Suspension won’t deter me. I won’t accept illogical health decisions, I will keep asking for safety & health. #BeWell @dmorey,” he tweeted.White, whose contract is guaranteed for $3.3 million for the first two seasons, will not be paid during his suspension.The Rockets and White had a tentative agreement in place at the beginning of the season to deal with his anxiety disorder due to the rigorous demands of the NBA’s travel schedule. Both parties agreed to allow him travel by bus to some games in an attempt to tackle his fear of flying and obsessive-compulsive disorder. He managed to fly to Detroit for the season opener and then bused to Atlanta and Memphis for the following games.Shortly after that White made the decision to stop participating in all team activities and took to Twitter saying dealing with his mental health was more important than his NBA career.White is hopeful that he can change the protocol for himself, the entire league and future players.“There’s no mental health protocol here, for not only the Rockets but the entire league, really,” White said in a SirusXM interview. “I expressed that that’s really unsafe if you think about it. So, basically, I’m fighting to have that rectified. I just don’t think it is OK or responsible or even logical to have GMs or any front office personnel have executive authority in medical situations.” read more

Bahamas Police accused of brutality in teacher murder trial

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppNassau, Bahamas – December 8, 2017 – The jury was hearing closing arguments in the case in the trial of three men, accused of killing a fourth grade teacher from Queen’s College in November 2015.During their closing arguments, attorneys for the men – Makavelli Tinker, 17 at the time of the crime and Johnny Mackey stated to the jury that there is no evidence to convict, only confessions which the accused trio claims they were coerced into giving.Earlier this week, Police are accused of stomping Johnny Mackey in the testicles in the interrogation room in order to get a confession from him in the murder of QC teacher, Joyelle McIntosh in November 2015.  Mackey took the witness stand this week, and told Justice Bernard Turner that he was brutalized by officers, so much so that he became swollen.  Mackey claims officers at CDU put a plastic bag over his head and that his life was threatened by the investigators; the 27 year old said Police wanted to use a rope to hang him.The court also heard that co-accused Armando Sergeant, was allegedly given a proposal to finger the teenager as the shooter in a deal from Police.  Sergeant said the investigating officer made the offer, even though he told them he knew nothing of the shooting.  Both men claim they were beaten in order to get them to comply.Mackey told the Crown’s prosecutor, Viola Barnett that it was not him laying in the road, that he was much older that the two accused and would not be hanging out with them and that his record shows, he was not into carjacking crimes; that the only thing he gets locked up for is drugs. Sergeant told the court he had an alibi, two – his mother and his girlfriend because he was at home at the time of the incident on Parkgate Road.Sergeant said in the initial interview by Police he was not beaten, but when he was taken to CDU, he was beaten with a stick on both shoulders and was dragged across a rug.He too says he was fish-bagged, biting through the first bag to get air to breathe, telling the court that the police then doubled the bag to coerce him into doing what they said.Armando Sergeant’s attorney was today expected to give his close. Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

David de Gea focused on winning games for United

first_imgDavid de Gea has insisted that he’s focused on helping Manchester United win games and not on his contract situation.With his current contract running out in the summer, David de Gea is still locked in talks with Manchester United who have an option to extend his deal by a further year.Mourinho’s comment this week about the deal, caused further uncertainty as he said he wasn’t confident that the deal will go through.However, de Gea is choosing to concentrate on his team’s performance on the pitch.“What matters is the team and all of us being focused on what we need to focus on, which is winning games, rather than contracts or any topics that can be a distraction. What matters is focusing on football.” de Gea told Sky Sports in an exclusive interview.harry maguire, manchester UnitedMaguire says United need to build on today’s win George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Harry Maguire wants his United teammates to build on the victory over Leicester City.During the summer, Harry Maguire was referred to as the ultimate…“We have an important game against Everton and we have some big fixtures over the coming months. I think that’s what matters, rather than thinking about anything else.“I’ve been here for many seasons, as we’ve said. I’ve been at the club for eight seasons now. I’m very happy here. I always feel that warmth from the fans and everyone who works at the club.“I think it’s very easy to be focused on what you have to focus on, partly because we have lots of training sessions and play every three or four days.“You have to be focused on what’s important, which is the team, winning, doing well in training and being in good shape to give your all.“You don’t have time to think about things that aren’t as important as football and the points that are at stake in the games that we have to win and do well in.”last_img read more

New report unable to find correlation between spending homelessness decreases

first_imgNew report unable to find correlation between spending, homelessness decreases March 26, 2019 SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – While government spending on local homeless services has dramatically increased throughout the county over the last decade, the effect of that spending is difficult to quantify, according to a report released Tuesday by the San Diego Taxpayers Educational Foundation.Each of the county’s jurisdictions does a poor job of tracking homelessness data points such as use of homeless services, according to the SDTEF, the research arm of the San Diego County Taxpayers Association.Because of the poor data collection, it is difficult to determine just how much homeless spending affects local homelessness populations, according to the report, which notes that countywide spending on homelessness services increased by more than 2,000 percent between 2009 and 2018.“As long as cities within San Diego County continue to use different methods to measure the impact of homelessness services, we don’t know what we don’t know,” said SDCTA President and CEO Haney Hong. “Government spending on homelessness reduction efforts has steadily increased over the past decade, but our research shows that homelessness has not steadily decreased.”The SDTEF analyzed public records from the county and all 18 cities within the county. One of the foundation’s biggest obstacles was inconsistent tracking of homeless residents throughout the county.The county’s homeless population was higher in 2015 and 2017 than it was in both 2014 and 2016, according to the report. Meanwhile, countywide expenditures on homeless services increased from just over $10 million in 2014 to nearly $70 million in 2018.To more definitively state whether a correlation exists between spending and homelessness population decreases, SDTEF researchers recommended that city leaders streamline and standardize the methods used to track homeless populations and use of homeless services.The researchers also suggested that local jurisdictions regularly track whether homeless services and programs are working as efficiently as possible and develop a 10-year plan to decrease homelessness around the county.Helen Robbins-Meyer, the county’s chief administrative officer, said the county intends to invest in a more standardized system of collecting and analyzing data on homeless populations.“This is a smart path forward for local government and our regional partners, and one that will allow all of us to accurately document both raw numbers and outcomes so we can most effectively leverage public funds and regional resources,” Robbins-Meyer said. Posted: March 26, 2019 KUSI Newsroom center_img Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, Updated: 1:00 PMlast_img read more