Offices: Manchester returns to its core

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

English officials wish Gibson well as departure nears

first_imgLONDON, England (CMC) – Senior officials have hailed the work of England bowling coach Ottis Gibson, as he prepares to leave to become the South Africa head coach.The England & Wales Cricket Board confirmed on Wednesday that the 48-year-old Gibson, a former Barbados and West Indies all-rounder, has penned a two-year contract with Cricket South Africa to become head coach of their senior men’s national side.“I would like to place on record my thanks to Ottis for his services to English cricket,” said ECB Director of Cricket Andrew Strauss.“Ottis has been an integral part of the England team in his two stints as bowling coach. His experience, tactical awareness and understanding of bowling in all conditions have benefited our approach and have helped our bowling unit develop greatly across all formats of the game.“He is an ambitious man and when this opportunity presented itself it was difficult for him to turn it down. On behalf of the ECB, I would like to wish him every success in the next chapter of his career.”Gibson is currently the England bowling coach, but he will be released from his duties following the end of the ongoing three-Test series against West Indies.He took up the role for the second time last year after previously serving in the position between 2007 and 2010.Gibson also served as West Indies head coach for four years, leading them to the capture of the 2012 Twenty20 World Cup before being axed in 2014.“Ottis has played a vital role in our progress over the past few years,”said England head coach Trevor Bayliss.“His knowledge of the international game and the way he has supported all our bowlers in their development has been immeasurable.“He will no doubt relish the challenge of becoming a head coach once again and, coupled with his strong affinity with South African cricket, he will look to take them forward.”Gibson played first-class cricket for a number of years in South Africa for Border (1992-1995), Griqualand West (1998-2000) and Gauteng (2000-2001last_img read more

DANIEL: ‘I FORGOT EVERYTHING IN THE DANCE-OFF – IT WAS TIME FOR ME TO LEAVE STRICTLY’

first_imgDaniel checks out of StrictlyDANIEL O’DONNELL says he has no regrets about taking part in this year’s Strictly Come Dancing after being the third celebrity to waltz off the show.The proud Donegal man says it was time for him to go – but will miss learning new dance moves.He and Kristina Rihanoff performed the American Smooth to Frank Sinatra’s Fly Me To The Moon and the star admitted: “I forgot everything in the dance-off, my feel stuck to the floor. “I’ve had a great time, I have enjoyed the show, to have been asked to go on it was amazing,” he said.“And to just have taken part, it’s going to be lovely to look back and say ‘I was on that show.”’He said his nerves got to him again – and was shocked at how nervous he got each week.“I’ve done shows for so many years and have been on stage – it kind of took me by surprise, but I suppose I was out of my comfort zone and that’s why I felt so nervous,” said the Donegal singer. Fans in the Republic couldn’t vote for him but Daniel said that wasn’t an issue.“I don’t think there’s any issue there at all, the show is based in the UK, you know it’s based here in the UK and it’s a UK show,” he said.“If anything I suppose it would be unfair if one person from Ireland was in a show and everybody else was from the UK and all of the votes, or most of the votes [from Ireland] were going for me,” he said.Earlier in the week, Rihanoff blasted a report that claimed she’d branded O’Donnell “an old man” and said he was unlikely to win.She wrote on Twitter: “Everyone knows how much we enjoy working together! Rude journalism.” Talking about the incident, O’Donnell said: “What can you do, things are going to be written – it certainly didn’t affect Kristina and myself at all, we just enjoyed learning the dance, doing the dances, and I suppose I would have loved to be able to do better. Somebody has to go every week and this week it was my turn.”He joked: “I don’t think I’m old”In Saturday night’s show, professional dancer Gleb Savchenko whipped his top off, but O’Donnell joked he was “delighted” he’d not be getting his off soon.“I think I’m doing the world a favour, or maybe the lack of votes is doing the world a favour,” he said. DANIEL: ‘I FORGOT EVERYTHING IN THE DANCE-OFF – IT WAS TIME FOR ME TO LEAVE STRICTLY’ was last modified: October 19th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:daniel o’donnellexitStrictlylast_img read more

4 climbers die near top of Mount Everest in tragic weekend

first_imgLATEST STORIES SEA Games: PH beats Indonesia, enters gold medal round in polo Climbers who had permits for the 2014 season were allowed to receive a free replacement permit until 2019, while climbers with 2015 permits were given only until this year. The permits normally cost $11,000.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Man who told immigrant to go back to country asked to write essay Zverev joins Top 10 of men’s tennis after Rome win Hornets beat Pistons for 8th straight time LOOK: Vhong Navarro’s romantic posts spark speculations he’s marrying longtime GF Lillard, Anthony lead Blazers over Thunder A Slovak climber, Vladimir Strba, 50, also died on Everest on Sunday, Tourism Ministry official Gyanendra Shrestha said. His body was brought the South Col camp.Australian climber Francesco Enrico Marchetti, 54, from Queensland, died on the Chinese side of Everest, according to the Himalayan Times newspaper. Other details were not available.The number of climbers who have died on Everest during the current spring climbing season, which began in March and runs through the end of this month, has now reached six. A typical spring season sees around six deaths on Everest, according to mountaineering officials.Because of bad weather conditions, climbing to the summit had been delayed this year, leading to a rush in the last few days to get to the summit.The Nepalese Tourism Department issued a record 371 permits this year to people to scale the mountain. The increased number of climbers this year is likely because many people were unable to climb in 2014 and 2015, when deadly avalanches disrupted the climbing seasons.ADVERTISEMENT FILE – In this Nov. 12, 2015, file photo, Mt. Everest is seen from the way to Kalapatthar in Nepal. An American climber has died near the summit of Mount Everest and an Indian climber is missing after heading down from the mountain following a successful ascent, expedition organizers said Sunday. (AP Photo/Tashi Sherpa, File)KATHMANDU, Nepal — The body of an Indian climber was spotted on Mount Everest on Monday, the fourth fatality on the mountain during a busy and tragic weekend on the world’s highest peak.Sherpa rescuers spotted the body of Indian climber Ravi Kumar, but it was impossible to retrieve the body, said Thupden Sherpa of Arun Treks and Expedition. It appeared that Kumar had fallen some 200 meters (650 feet) below the route, he said.ADVERTISEMENTcenter_img Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students PLAY LIST 01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes MOST READ 250 enrolled at phony school arrested in immigration scam View comments Climbers from the United States, Slovakia and Australia also died on the mountain over the weekend.Kumar fell sick on his way down from the summit on Saturday and did not make it to the nearest camp, though his accompanying Nepalese Sherpa guide did reach camp. The guide was sick but had managed to drag himself to the camp at South Col, located at 8,000 meters (26,247 feet).FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingKumar and his guide reached the 8,850-meter-high (29,035-foot-high) summit at about 1:30 p.m. Saturday, which is considered late, and not many climbers were around when they were returning back.Tourism Department official Kamal Prasad Adhikari confirmed that American climber Roland Yearwood, 50, from Georgiana, Alabama, died Sunday, but it was not clear if and when his body would be brought down. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Cayetano dares Lacson, Drilon to take lie-detector test: Wala akong kinita sa SEA Games Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekendlast_img read more

Tony Orsten is returning to the UK following his d

first_imgTony Orsten is returning to the UK following his departure from Abu Dhabi media hub TwoFour54.
Orsten announced earlier this year that Noura Al Kaabi was taking over as CEO of TwoFour54, but said he was staying on in Abu Dhabi until this month.Orsten told DTVE’s sister publication TBI that he couldn’t reveal details of his next move yet, but he has set up UK-based Orstenmedia.
A veteran of the UK and international TV business, Orsten’s previous experience includes being head of content at Joost, managing director of entertainment channels at MTV and MD of Paramount in the UK.In a leaving note to colleagues, issued at the time he announced his departure, Orsten said that Wayne Borg will be staying at TwoFour54 as deputy CEO as will Andy Young, CFO.Noura Al Kaabi replaces Orsten. She was previously the head of TwoFour54’s Tawasol division. It manages market intelligence, business networking promotion and relocation services at the Abu Dhabi-based operation.
Orsten has taken a seat on the board of TwoFour54.last_img read more